Monday, August 23

Ten on Tuesday

10 pieces of advice for college freshmen:

  1. Stay put.  It'll take you longer to finish your degree if you change colleges.  Really.  Like 2 years longer.
  2. That includes your major - make a decision and stick with it.  Chances are, you aren't going to be doing what you majored in anyway.  I did, but most folks don't. 
  3. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  This is advice for all my life.
  4. True Love will wait, if it's right.  If it doesn't, well then, aren't you glad you know now instead of later?  (Not saying that you shouldn't have fun or a relationship, just you know, don't get seriously deeply involved (Do as I say, not as I do....))
  5. Have fun - get involved.  I wish I did.
  6. Be aware.  Walking home from class at 10:30pm and the dude stops the car next to you to ask if you want a ride home?  Um, no.  And ride the bus the next time (or all semester).
  7. In spite of your parents (but not to spite them), move into the guy/girl dorm if you are living on campus.  The Virgin Vault is no place to be.
  8. You don't have to put on the freshman 20# (this from a girl who's now significantly overweight).  I lost a lot of weight the first year of college - walking everywhere and salad bar in the cafeteria because I was impatient.
  9. Take night classes, even if you are not working, just going to school full time.  You will have better chances at job opportunities during the day, if you want/need to work (not competing with high school or as many other students).  You can sleep in later.  You don't have to go as often during the week (they are usually 2x/week instead of 5x/week).  And they usually don't happen on Friday so you can still attend the local party/game.
  10. Maximize your credit hours.  Maximizing your per semester credit hours means you will be done faster (and cheaper).  If I take four classes instead of three, I will be done in 3 years instead of four.  Tuition goes up every year, and there is usually some flat fees (which also to up) that you pay each semester.  So I'm paying for 9 semesters of flat fees instead of 12.  And pretend that tuition is $100/class the first year and $110/$120/$130 the following years.  So the standard 3 classes/semester would cost me $4140 and the 4 classes/semester would cost me $3960, saving me $180.  Which doesn't sound like much, but where can you find tuition at $100/class??  Do your own math.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you going back to school? Share the deets please!