Thursday, March 10

Up...Down...Up....

First off, they are still working on the deck.  Although I've been taking progress pictures along and along, it doesn't look like much has changed from day to day.  Lay out wood, secure wood - it's a lot of work, but visually, they look about the same.  Added to that, we lost a couple of days due to illness and supply runs.  I'll put together a comprehensive post sometime in the near future.

Yesterday was a roller coaster kind of day. I loaded up the back of the truck with recycling.  It's been a long while since I hauled any off and it was starting to get intrusive.  So off to the recycle center.  Unload $183 worth of cans and bottles.  Wahoo!  Get back in the truck to get out of there - I've got errands to run - and the engine won't turn over.

Now this is not a surprise, it's an older truck and we keep jumper cables in it just in case.  I pop the hood and get out, cables in hand, and one of the very helpful and friendly workers comes over to assist.  Except he doesn't really know what he's doing.  And he crosses the streams.  Arc welding ensues.  One of the terminal post turns to slag.  The ring connector dissolves.  And fortunately, the main breaker is fried.  I say fortunately, because I can only imagine what would have happened to the electrical system if it hadn't blown.  Horror stories of exploding batteries and acid showers were shared by passerbys.  Friends, let this be a lesson - learn how to jump start your car yourself.  Although I had the basic idea, I allowed the enthusiasm to sway me into letting someone else do it for me.  A phone call to AAA, 2 hours and $148 later, I'm back on the road.  Sigh and hang (or bang) head.

The main reason for the whole trip over the hill in the first place was that I ordered a new grill from Lowes online and needed to pick it up (along with several other things!).  When I finally get there, I present my confirmation and customer service tells me that they don't have any in the box any longer, they've all been assembled. Which, I've got the truck, that's all good.  And because they've been sitting outside assembled, they have a little superficial rust on them.  Okay, not surprising, and just makes the need for a grill cover more obvious.  So, we'll give you 30% off of the price you paid.  You mean, you'll assemble it and give me $75 for doing it?!?  DEAL!

So now all I need to do is put some oil on the cast iron portions to stop it from rusting further - like you would season a skillet. There's some slight rust on a couple of nuts and one of the handles, I need to figure out what, if anything, can be done to stop that. 



And now, I need to go bake cupcakes.  I think Toasted Almond this week.  And Chai Latte next week.

No comments: