Tuesday, August 5

Fighting with Yarn


Over the weekend, I took some time to start (yet another) yarn project. I wanted something that didn't feel quite so overwhelming. Like a sweater, or the scarf that's been hidden deep in bag for more than a year, or the 20 gajillion toys I need to make for the boy-o's (just kidding - you know I love you!)

Socks are actually much more complicated and yet easier than you would think. I wanted to design my own sock pattern - it's just a matter of matching up gauge with the yarn and choosing a stitch pattern that will work for you.

But what you see above, well, that toe has been knit three times - once the gauge swatch lied so I had to re-do it for the smaller gauge, then, I didn't like the lace/cable pattern I picked - the 6 stitch cable is too lumpy to actually wear on your foot, and then a white foot showing through dark purple yarn - ummmm, not very attractive. So that was frogged back, while I thumbed through multiple stitch guides looking for something else. I tried a 3 stitch mock cable, but because of the "eastern" layout of my stitch work, that's more difficult than an actual cable. I tried a shell rib - but the repeat was too close together. Frogged again. But learning every time - no lace in a dark yarn, small cable shifts, longer repeats.

Back to the stitch-ionaries. I pulled the "Knitting on the Edge" from the shelf, because I know I really need a rib stitch, and she's got pretty ones gathered together in one space. Maypole Rib it is. It suits my needs. It's only crossing two stitches at a time, there are no holes in the pattern, and the repeat is 8 rows long. I think that in a blue/black/grey/brown yarn this would be fairly manly, but in my Velvet Plum Jitterbug by Colinette, it's feminine enough to suit me. So it's my own design, and I'm keeping the notes for it on my Ravelry account here.

So we may fight, but I'll getcha in the end!

No comments: