Tuesday, June 21

How I spent my weekend

In pictures....

As much time as possible...

From our very own trees
Making Cupcakes (not from our trees)
And maybe a few words...

We have never picked as many cherries from our two trees as we did this year.  We ended up making 23 jars of jam, as well as having enough to eat in our lunch and freeze some for future tasties. 

You may know I have a critter problem.  Comes with living in the woods.  Most of the time, I can live with it, however, when the ding dang squirrels start eating rose buds, tomatoes, and anything else I plant on the deck, I start trapping.  We've also got a resident 'coon family who wanders around the neighborhood tipping trash cans and generally being a nuisance.  Mark actually played tag with a raccoon who was adamant about being on the deck Friday night.

This weekend, before we managed to get out and pick the cherries, I noticed a fat squirrel hanging out in the tops of the trees enjoying the fruit.  I have no problem with the animals getting the high hanging fruit, but I get upset when they strip a tree in a little under 24 hours.  So I set up the squirrel trap and headed up to the roof line (their highway) to put it in place.  I noticed the branches of the cherry tree were wobbling pretty good and there was a patch of grey fur.  Come here, little squirrel...You know you want some tasty peanut butter... And then I see the mask of a raccoon!  I know raccoons can climb trees (knock him out john!), but this is a delicate cherry tree and the branches will break under his weight.  Now, there's a 'coon sized trap waiting...

No comments: