Thursday, January 5

Cookie Time!

This past weekend, I made Chocolate Malt Sandwich cookies from one of my many cookbooks.  Mark keeps asking me why I bake, and I keep telling him, because I enjoy it!  Just because I don't need the cookies, doesn't mean that I shouldn't make them, just that I shouldn't eat (all of) them.  Little do they know, but the co-workers should start to expect the weekly cookie treats to begin, because I'm planning on baking a new variety each week. 


From the recipe, I have the following notes:
  • I had a hard time finding the malt powder, until our trip to Arizona last year, and there it was staring me in the face.  I mean, there are plenty of things to bring home from the Grand Canyon, but who knew that Malted Milk Powder was one of them?  Now I will probably see it every where I go.
  • Instead of creme fraiche', I used a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and heavy whipping cream.  I have those ingredients in my fridge nearly all the time, creme fraiche' however, is hard to find even when I'm looking for it.  All the recipe sites say that you could substitute sour cream, but that the creme is sweeter than sour cream.  My substitution seemed to work just fine.
  • I used my tiny ice cream scoop for consistent cookie sizes.  There's nothing that'll frustrate you like trying to sandwich two different size cookies.  This made about 90 cookies, or 45 sandwiches instead of the 18 the recipe indicates.
  • The frosting is a bit bitter with the semi-sweet chips - I'd probably go with the milk chocolate next time or a 50/50 mix here as well.
  • And be generous with the frosting, there's plenty to do all the cookies with a nice slather. 
The cookies are rich with chocolate, although I couldn't pick out the malt flavor.  The smaller size is just perfect for your afternoon coffee break, and are fantastic with a cold glass of milk.

1 comment:

CMVPL said...

Malt powder eh? These look tasty. I think you should mail some so we can try em. They look gingery, not chocolatey. Probably just look that way.

Cheers!