Monday, January 17

Cupcake Test 1a & 1b "Just Because"

My youngest sister is getting married this year!  She's asked my other sister to work her magic in producing some sort of (cup)cake for the reception.  Sister the older has sent both of us the book Better Crocker Just Cupcakes so that we can all test recipes and take notes. 

Our first test is of the "Just Because" cupcakes.  In the book, they look like a version of ho-ho's or ding dongs, rich chocolate cupcake with a cream filling.  I used a chocolate cake mix for the cupcake and then made two filling/frosting options.  The first is the "Creamy White Frosting" - I tinted mine pink because I don't have any clear vanilla (yet!) in my pantry.  The second is the "Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting".

Process Notes:  I only got 21 cupcakes (vs. the 24 advertised) - I need to get a scoop that will let me put the same amount of batter in each liner.  I baked them at 350 (preheated and everything!) on the convection bake setting in the gas oven.  Chocolate cake doesn't look good in fancy liners.  You might as well use the foil ones or plain-jane and a wrapper.  It took 3/4 of a recipe of the Creamy White Frosting to do 10 cupcakes.  1/2 a recipe of the Creamy PB Frosting was more than enough to do 11 cupcakes.  I think I put a smidge too much milk in the PB frosting - I've got a cupcake in the fridge to see if it sets up better. 

The Ugly Ducklings
Tasting Notes:  Me - The cupcakes were moist, but not exceptionally so.  I liked the PB better with the cupcake than alone.  The Creamy White was also quite tasty.  I can see this with a chocolate ganache or some jelly inside.  It does not however, taste like a ding dong or ho-ho - that would need a bit more cream I do believe.

Hubster -  The Creamy White is his favorite.  It tastes like the frosting they used to make at the Harvey's in Valdosta.

His Office - we'll see if we can get an update tomorrow.   eta:  The un-official verdict is this:  The pink frosting looks more appetizing than the peanut butter - all 8 cupcakes devoured vs. a couple of the peanut butter remaining at the end of the day.  The peanut butter frosting looks a little like poo if you don't put sprinkles on it.
You can see StY notes here.

1 comment:

CMVPL said...

yes, pb and chocolate swirls look a little like poo without sprinklage, awesome for a wedding right? poo swirls.

Yours are much much prettier. I still haven't figured out how to make the swirl on top look pretty. Practice I guess. Your creme filled ones look much nicer than mine did.