Thursday, January 27

They all equal "Ouch!"

So, we've had some pretty nice weather around these parts for the past week or two, and it looks like it will be staying that way for the next week or two.  I decided that I'd get out and sweep the deck off so I could "get my glow on".  It's showing the dead fall from the earlier storms and it's a pain to walk on.  The deck is much older than we've been living in the house, and we've known for some time that we need to get it fixed - just as soon as we both have a perm position.  I think you can see where this story is going. 

I'm just getting started when my foot, no leg, goes straight down through one of the boards.  I'm home alone.  And my leg is stuck between the boards.  Yikes.  And the only neighbor I know is home won't hear me - as he's riding his super loud Harley too and from the house.  Okay, pull it together.  Pull my leg out of the hole - is it broken? No, I can still walk on it.  Well, that's good.  I get back in the house and IM Mark - but he's idle (working in the lab on some super big issue).  I'm feeling woozy, so I decide that laying down and elevating my leg might be a good idea.  Then my ears start to buzz.  I call Mark - but he's in the lab and he doesn't have his phone.  The buzzing goes away.  Now, what did I learn in my days as Princess-Schlepp-alot when Mark's leg was broken?   Oh yeah, put some ice on the bruises to contract the blood vessels and maybe it won't bleed as much.  Up again to get some frozen veggies to put on the leg.  Keep it elevated.  Take some ibuprofin.  Eventually (20 min or so) Mark does call me back, but everything is under control by then!

I have three, count them three, beautiful purple places on my leg today.  One on the inside crease of my knee, and two on either side of the thigh where it was girdled by the sturdier boards.  Basically, I have a "frog" on both sides of my leg.  Ugh.   So, call it a bruise, a hematoma, or a contusion, they all equal "Ouch!"

Final result:  We're going to get some lumber this week, and start repairing the deck.  One board at a time.

1 comment:

CMVPL said...

I read that James Bond would massage a bruised area before it bruised so that the blood would disperse and not be so bruise-y, but I've never found that to be helpful at all. Ice is all I know of to help.

Feel better!