Friday, January 28

Cupcake Test 2 "S'more"

This week, we've had a request from the groom to make the S'Mores Cupcakes.  

Process Notes:  Even though I went from a 1/3c scoop to a 1/4c scoop for my cupcakes, I only managed to get 21 cupcakes.  I'm still looking for an ice cream scoop with a sweep to see if that will help.  Also, the book called for baking them at 375, while the box called for 350.  I baked at 375, but just for 18 minutes.  And, due to the higher temperature, the ones in the cheaper (lighter) muffin tin, were extra brown.  I'd recommend doing them at the lower temperature.  The frosting is oh-so-sticky, but what do you expect with marshmallow fluff?  Also, I was only able to frost 18 cupcakes with the one batch of frosting.  That's a half-dozen short which will add up in quantity, quickly.  I used my mini-chopper on the candy bar shrapnel, but if I were making these in bulk, I would definitely use the food processor.

Tasting Notes:  Me - I'm not a big fan of the S'mores.  I like them in theory, but in practice, not so much.  I liked the chocolate mixed into the batter - that was tasty.  I didn't really get any graham taste from the crumbs that were added.  Instead, I felt like they made the cupcake a little rubbery.  The frosting didn't have much of a marshmallow taste to it - maybe if it got toasted with a flame thrower?  The teddy graham couples were cute for decoration.  I think StY probably had a good idea to dip the cupcakes in the graham crumbs as decor & for more flavor.

Mark -  Likes these very much and would put them on the list to make.  His suggestion for improvement is to put a puddle of chocolate syrup in the top of the cupcake before frosting them to add a bit more chocolate flavor.  He thought that the teddy couples were appropriate for a wedding - & fun too. 

Mark's Office - I'll add these notes some time this weekend.  Mark did say he had received positive feedback.

1 comment:

CMVPL said...

I like the artistic flourish piped frosting gives these cupcakes. I really think they are going to be a keeper for the wedding. I had a hard time not eating every single one, I thought the frosting was quite delicious.

I'm still having issues with temps and times- mine are still burning , but I'm working on it.