Monday, January 28

HL - Road to OK? and a busy weekend

Or at least I think that is what this one is.

This weekend I had a house to myself, well not including the dogs that is. So Saturday I had a "ladies who lunch" kind of day - which included a class on combining zen tangle and free motion quilting on my aging lady of a sewing machine, picking up Snowball, lunch at the Yard House, some shopping in Santana Row, and a trip to Jo-Ann's to see if they had anything workable for the quilts I'm working on. Success or near-success on all points.

Once I got home I pieced the remaining blocks for the Jacob's Ladder Road to Oklahoma (I think). There were only enough to complete nine blocks, but that was enough to turn this into a king size spread. There were many more pieces for partial blocks, and I put together a strip of them thinking I would insert them into the back of this monster.

The next day was shining bright and the coffee was fresh and hot. I sewed the blocks into strips (two of them) and then attached the strips to the main body of the quilt. "Modern" quilts these days tend to not include borders but this isn't one of those. I pieced two borders to attach and then the top was done. It took a lot longer on the machine than it does to type out in a blog post, trust me on that.

I had rescued a long piece of red toile print fabric from Hazel's stash, and felt that it would make a perfect backing. Measure (88"/100"), slice the back and where are those blocks? I *still* can't find them and I have put everything away since then. (Let me see, I sewed them together, ironed them, admired them, and then where did they go?) I've since decided that it was the quilting muse telling me it wasn't the best choice, so moving on I've extended the red toile with some navy pin-dot that will be used for the binding as well. I will piece the back some time this week and then it will be ready for drop off this weekend.

Opinion please - I'm auditioning the cream/chocolate toile for the space blocks in the churn dash. I'm thinking this is going to be low volume, the muslin in the pieced blocks is very, um, rough? It's a loose, coarse weave and all the churns are scrappy prints that look like they were printed anywhere from the 60's to the 90's - maybe even up to 2010. There's not going to be a match to anything, but I'm kinda liking this.


No comments: