Sunday, January 6

HL - Purple Log Cabin Quilt

I think this might actually be the first one I finish. It's a purple log cabin square, consisting of two solids and two prints. Hazel has enough centers for 42 squares, or a 7 x 6 arrangement. Happily, she had finished ten of the blocks and sewn them together so I know what she intended.

It may be the first I finish as all the strips are cut, and, lucky for me, the only time I will have to match seams is when I join the blocks together. No bias, no points, just simple straight lines. Again, the prints aren't exactly my first choice, and I wouldn't be so fond of the solids as she so obviously was, but looking at the web and the books these days, she may have been ahead of her time with a modern quilt look. And note too, that even in a so very purple palette, she's still managed a touch of red.

What would you think if I removed the last two of the ten blocks and rearranged them more into a concentric light/dark pattern? I know there is a name for it, but I haven't used my google-fu yet!

The machines are still in the shop, so I've been organizing and sorting and planning and clearing. I should have them back by next weekend tho - fingers crossed...







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks you found a new hobby. Love from your favorite sister.

chacha1 said...

Unsurprisingly, I like that purple combo a lot. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :-)

Unknown said...

A Hobby? I don't know that it's a hobby, but I do feel a sense of obligation to see at least some of them completed. She was this >< close to having so many of them done, but didn't take the last and final steps to get them completed.

Unknown said...

I like the purple too, and it should be a dream to finish. I'm getting the easier / smaller ones ready for the quilter first. I think I've documentented 40+ projects that I brought home. That doesn't include the 6 or so that I sent to Mom to complete, or the 20 or so that my sister-in-law has taken on...