Sunday, January 13

HL - Snowball + 9 Patch

So I fibbed. It turns out that this beauty is actually the first one that is ready for the quilter to get her hands on.

It's a combination of scrappy nine-patch and snowball blocks that probably has an official name (let me know if you know!) that are grounded by the use of a medium blue. The body of the quilt was complete, and no extra blocks or pieces of blocks were found to add to it. Each of the blocks is 5.75" square. At 9 x 10 blocks, it's a smidge more than 4' x 4'. There are yards of the blue fabric in the stash I brought home, but she used it in so many projects that I'm afraid to cut any more than necessary in case I need it for something else.

My contribution to this top is a 5.75" border of pink polka dot fabric. The medium blue shows up in the corners in a nine-patch block, just to tie the bits together. The back will be the very happy floral print, that for some reason seems to meld with all the scrappy prints that Hazel used. A binding of a slightly darker blue will tie the two together after its quilted.

I actually consider this to be a companion piece to an existing quilt we have in the house. The pink and blue turtle quilt was made for Mark by his Granny (paternal). Granny was a prolific quilter herself. We are fortunate to have a quilt made by her hands, as after her passing there was a fire at the farm and the majority of her quilts were destroyed.

On his tenth birthday, Mark was out at the farm and his Granny brought him to the bedroom. There was the quilt laid out, made especially for him. Even then he understood what a labor of love it was. It's machine pieced & appliqued, and hand quilted, with embroidery details for the turtle faces. The binding was replaced by Hazel in 2007 as it was frayed quite badly.  The border is original to the quilt.  I'm still trying to figure out the "fencing" print that was used...

It's a good feeling to have something ready to be quilted. It's overwhelming, almost, the amount of unfinished projects that were left behind.

Progress on the Lone Star - fill pieces removed, need to iron/starch the star so it will stop fraying and be easier to reassemble. I can't find my big ruler so the hunt is on! I'll need it before I try to cut the replacement pieces.













No comments: