Saturday, January 9

New Crafty Crap...

So, as I believe I have said earlier, I dig in my heels and fight the urge to get into new creative endeavors. But eventually, I cave. And when I cave, I go deep.

I really just started with the beading here in the past month or so. I finally found the books that made sense to me: Bead Simple: 150 Designs for Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets, Embellishments, and More as well as Teach Yourself VISUALLY Jewelry Making & Beading. Bead Simple gave me visual inspiration, while the Teach Yourself book gave me the detailed how-in-the-world-do-you-do-that directions. It's a learning process for sure, but in all things, practice makes better. I'd love to hear from my sisters regarding what they think could be improved upon as they were recipients of my Christmas gifting.
And no matter how many times I tell myself, I'm not going overboard with this (whatever it is!), I still end up with a pile of tools and supplies and then there is the storage part of it. Yikes. Fortunately, most of the supplies needed for jewelry beading are small and compact, and for a while I was storing them in a small art box I had found some time ago. Recently though, I've had to expand into the art tackle box that I originally bought for paper crafting, only to overflow in a hurry.

Beads are "ooo-shiney" and I always think, hmmm, potential. I'm only buying beads on a by-project basis right now, but the excess is starting to add up. I'm finding that in the future, I'm going to want to get bigger beads to make more of statement pieces. There's some jewelry that I've admired from afar that I think, maybe, just maybe, I can riff on that.

No comments: